Thursday, November 10, 2011

Why...Panama?

The one question that pops up time after time is: Why Panama?

For starters, I am not the person who could always accurately justify my actions. That purchase of a brand new set of speakers when I have a perfectly functional one? That hasty decision to purchase “NAKED” brand juice just because it is green (and green, according to mum is healthy) only to find out that a bottle each costs $8? That habit of mine to reverse park into a parking spot as opposed to sliding right into one?clip_image001

The delicious yet rather pricey naked green lean machine

Yes, “spontaneous” is my middle name. Last summer, I accepted an internship in Timisoara, a small town in Romania without really knowing what I was getting myself into. My only knowledge of Romania was based on stereotyped descriptions of the country as a whole from friends and family alike and it wasn't pretty: Gypsy paradise. Vampires. Communist country. Food poisoning.

It turned out later to be a more than just an amazing experience, and I ended up making friends from more than 30 countries and even got free accommodation in some countries I travelled to after my internship.

clip_image002Friends from all over the world in front of Peles Castle, Romania.

So back to the golden question, “Why Panama”, or more generally, why did you take this emerging market field study class?

Coming from an emerging market myself – Malaysia, I find it relevant to study about something that relates back to my country. Especially with more big players looking into expanding their operations into Latin America and Asia – be it to cut operation cost or expand into a whole new different market, this class would certainly benefit me in many ways, not necessarily apparent today.

Secondly, I’ve never been to a Latin American country. After watching Fast Five, visiting parts of Latin America became part of my bucket list. Images of white sandy beaches, party goers sipping margaritas on a hot sunny day – you get what I mean.

Thirdly, I’ve always been fascinated with economics – more specifically, the way in the market works. Since young, daddy has always instilled in me a sense of curiosity the way the rafflesia lures its poor victim into its absorptive organ.

With the new talks of China being the new global superpower, emerging markets that continually shows growth despite the recession – make no mistake, emerging markets are on the rise, and they’re not about to slow down anytime soon. In fact, European Central Bank Governing Council member Ewald Nowotny claims it’s not so much of the slowdown in economy in the U.S. that he is concerned about, it’s the fast-growing developing markets that he is concerned about.

Last but not least, my intentions of witnessing with my own eyes the majestic, mighty Panama Canal that transcended beyond its own time, dubbed an “engineering marvel”. It connects the Pacific Ocean with the Atlantic Ocean, saving ships a long trip using the old route through Cape Horn by at least half the time.

What more to describe the canal than show you a picture of it?

clip_image004

Picture of the mighty canal taken from : http://www.marineinsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/panama_canal_04.jpg

More updates on the canal up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment